http://www.one.org

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Birthday Rant!!

Back-door support by Un-Ethical Companies for Overseas Student Numbers

I've just sent this letter to my MP. A nice way to spend a University closure days and my Birthday :)

Have a great day everyone!


Gareth
__________________________________________


I have just read the following article on the BBC news website:
____________________________________________

OVERSEAS STUDENT PLANS UNVEILED

"Plans to attract a further 100,000 overseas students to the UK over the next five years are due to be unveiled by Prime Minister Tony Blair"

"Firms BP, BAE Systems, GlaxoSmithKline and Shell are to be "corporate champions" for the project, the prime minister will say."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4917642.stm

____________________________________________

Working in the University sector I am only too aware of how important it is to attract overseas student numbers, however allowing un-ethical companies like some of those stated in this article, will ultimately lead to further resource plundering, pollution and poverty wars.

I attended a Student Union meeting a few weeks ago in which the Deputy Vice Chancellor and the Director of Finance at Southampton University presented the Institutions involvement with arms manufacturers. I am cautiously optimistic that the University will be reviewing it's involvement with these companies. I for one will be campaigning that they favour a more sustainable approach to their research as I genuinely our country should strive to become a world leader in ethical, sustainable 'green' research.

The proposed unethical "corporate champions" will only exasperate the dire condition of our planet.

Can I ask that you put in for an adjournment debate on this subject? I feel strongly that the government should be taken to task over this.


Best wishes



Gareth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home