http://www.one.org

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

3 weeks where was he!

3 weeks since I last posted here. Apologies for that. The last 3 weeks have been crazy! I've been sorting out further sponsorship for my trek, creating a website (www.ChangeTheWorldNow.co.uk) and making preparation for a Video Horse Racing Night which I'm running as my largest fundraiser for WaterAid this year. On top of that I've also been taking a bit of R&R. The Isle of Wight festival this year was amazing! It was also great to see the presence of Oxfam there and Coldplay flying the colours for Make Trade Fair (www.maketradefair.com).

My quest to live ethically continues, as well as switching to environmentally friendly household cleaning products from EcoVer (www.ecover.com) I have started to get most of my food delivered to me by Abel and Cole (Thanks to Claudia for the recommendation) . Abel and Cole (www.abel-cole.co.uk) supply organic, fair trade foods straight to your door. Receiving deliveries at work is great! I get to save the environment, support British farmers and fairtrade co-ops and it saves me going out shopping as much. I've had to change my eating habits slightly by differing the things I eat but overall I'm really enjoying it. (plus I'm saving time shopping and don't have to fight the crowds at the shops either!) I recommend them to anyone!

The increasing energy prices have made us re-think energy use at home. We've now coverted all our bulbs to energy saving ones. Hopefully that will save the environment as well as a few pounds. Think small act big! It may only be a few lightbulbs but if we all did it, we could all make such a difference. I found some halogen replacement bulbs (search eBay for megaman GU10 bulbs) so instead of running a light at 120w (3x 40w) it now runs at 27w. I also treated myself to a new LCD computer monitor. Proving that saving energy doesn't alway mean we need to make concessions.

Needless to say we're just one household. I haven't got kids but i'm alreaDy thinking about the world future generations will inherit.

As for those selfish bastards in 4x4 cars who reason that their climate-killing-mobiles are to 'protect their children' maybe they need to think again! Get an LPG conversion folks and advertise it. If you really care about your kids then think of what the world will be like in the future when the climate really changes. Trust me it won't all be about warm summers!

  • Increased insect populations
  • Disease
  • Water shortages
  • Coastal flooding
  • Damage to homes
  • Reduced food due to flooded farmland

THINK!

Secretly I can't help that it is too late and the only way for people to listen will be when it is too late. Much like we see people only wanting to save Africa when we see pictures of death our own salvation will only become important to the ignorant or selfish when they too start to die. Whether that be physical death or the death of their lifestyle remains to be seen .... But big changes are coming so get ready!

1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger clauds said...

Hello!
Am I the Claudia that recommended A&C to you?! Hmmm....wierd if it is another Claudia...Anyway...Whoever you are G, sounds like you are doing lots of good things : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home